Talking about tomorrow


Corseford College, Scotland’s first college for young people with complex needs

Corseford College, Scotland’s first college for young people with complex and additional support needs opened in September 2022.  It is the first of its kind in Scotland offering young people the opportunity to continue their educational journey after they leave school.

To view the prospectus visit…/462-corseford-college…

Read more about: Corseford College, Scotland’s first college for young people with complex needs

Workshop handouts

These handbooks detailing local services and support were produced for the transition workshops as part of the Going Forward project, and are now available for download by clicking on the images below.

Please note all links were current on the dates shown but some services may since have changed.

Inclusion of a service does not imply a recommendation.
















Read more about: Workshop handouts

Ongoing Support

Transition is a process and it can take 10 years or more for things to fall into place. The kind of support you want might change but it’s important to know where to look for help when you need it.

Parent support groups

Other parents are a great source of information and support. Whether it’s pointing you in the right direction, recommending services or just offering a listening ear, parents can be the most likely to understand the anxieties, joys and frustrations of supporting a disabled young person.

There are parent groups across Scotland, some for specific conditions, others for all disabilities. You can find a list of them here and they can be one of the best sources of up-to-date local information. If it’s difficult to get to meetings, many use social media to keep members informed.

Carers’ organisations

Many organisations across Scotland run social groups, training courses and local support networks for carers of all ages and backgrounds. They can give you free advice or a listening ear, point you in the direction of other services that can help, and sometimes link you with local services such as solicitors or financial advice.

Click here to find a carers’ group near you.

Online communities and chatrooms

These can be great ways to link up with others facing similar issues, especially if there aren’t any social groups where you live or it’s difficult to get to meetings.

You might be wary of chatrooms. But following a few basic safety rules can open up a good source of support and information.

  • Protect your family’s identity. Don’t use real names and don’t give out any contact details.
  • Don’t trust anyone. People you chat with online aren’t the same as friends.
  • Look for online communities that are closed groups, where people have been invited to join by the group leader, or that are monitored so no one can post anything inappropriate.
  • Stay in the public chat space. It’s safer to be where other people can see you. Don’t respond to private messages unless you already know the person outside the chatroom.
  • If someone posts something that upsets or disturbs you, report it to the group leader or moderator. If they persist, report it to the police. Cyber bullying or cyber stalking is an offence.

Contact’s own online community for parents and carers has a section specifically for talking about transitions.

Scottish Transitions Forum

The Scottish Transitions Forum’s role is to support improved approaches to transitions across Scotland. They work with professionals as well as young people with additional support needs and their parents and carers, by bringing people together to share ideas, learn, identify areas for improvement and come up with solutions. They meet several times a year and the forum is open to everyone. They also provide regular e-bulletin updates along with training and information sessions across Scotland.

ALISS (A Local Information System for Scotland)

This is a new online directory of services. Enter your postcode and a few keywords, e.g. “disability” or “carers”, for details of services near you. Because it’s new there are still a lot of gaps, but services are being added all the time, so it’s worth checking if you’re looking for something in particular – and if there’s something in your area that others might want to know about, you can add it yourself.

You don’t have to register to search the database, but if you want to add information, share links with someone else, or save a personalised list of organisations you’d like to follow, you’ll need to create an account (it’s free).




Read more about: Ongoing Support