Talking about tomorrow


More financial help

There are many sources of help that can make a difference financially.

ILF Scotland Transition Fund

The ILF Scotland Transition Fund provides money, for up to a year, to help young disabled people to become more independent and spend time with other people.

It can be used for a wide range of things someone may not be able to do otherwise, including developing a new skill, joining a class or club, paying for lessons such as art or music, accessing a training course, or buying a piece of equipment.

Anyone can apply if they:

· are between the ages of 16 and 25

· will be living in Scotland for at least the duration of a Transition Fund grant

· have an impairment or disability as defined in the Equality Act 2010

· have less than £32,750 of personal savings

People who have little or no formal support from Social Work Services or through Self Directed Support (SDS) will be prioritised.

Find out more about the Transition Fund. You can phone ILF Scotland on 0300 200 2022 or email them at Please note, the ILF are currently only accepting first-time applications.

ILF Scotland Technology Grant

The Technology Grant is an initiative designed to help combat digital isolation for young people. If you are aged 16-25, have a disability or impairment and live in Scotland, you can apply for the Technology Grant.

Applicants can pick one of two pieces of technology to help them get online:

· a 10.2-inch Apple iPad tablet computer or

· a Microsoft Surface Go 3 tablet, with keyboard and stylus

People who apply for the Technology Grant can also apply for the ILF Scotland Transition Fund.

Cinema card

The CEA Card is issued to disabled cinemagoers by the UK Cinema Association and allows someone to accompany them for free. They will need to provide proof they are receiving Child Disability Payment or Adult Disability Payment, complete an online application form, and supply a passport-type photograph. There is a £6 administration fee and the card is valid for a year from the date of issue.

Apply for the CEA Card online.

Bus travel

Disabled people are entitled to free bus travel with a National Entitlement Card, and someone can travel with them for free if their card has the Companion Travel logo on it. They need to be receiving Adult Disability Payment or receive the higher rate of the mobility component or the higher or middle rate of the care component of Child Disability Payment (CDP). You apply through your local authority.

Find out more about the National Entitlement Card.

In Scotland, all young people aged 5 to 21, who live in Scotland for at least 6 months a year, can apply for a free bus pass. You can use this to travel on most bus services in Scotland for free. A Young Scot Card (Young Scot NEC) or other National Entitlement Card (NEC) will be your bus pass.

Find out more about the Young Persons Free Bus travel scheme.

Disabled Person’s Railcard

The railcard allows a disabled passenger and an adult travelling with them to receive 1/3 off adult rail fares. They will qualify if they:

  • receive Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
  • receive Child Disability Payment (CDP) at the higher or lower rate for mobility, or the higher or middle rate for the care component
  • are registered as visually impaired
  • are registered as deaf
  • have epilepsy.

Railcards can be used on the network at any time of day.

Find out more about the Disabled Person’s Railcard.