Talking about tomorrow


F – J

Fair Start Scotland

A new employment support service in Scotland to help people find work. Participation doesn’t affect any existing benefits.

Fairer Scotland for Disabled People

The Scottish Government’s plan to reduce the disability employment gap by 2021 in line with the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Foundation apprenticeship

Gives pupils is S5 or S6 the chance to learn in the workplace while still in school or college.


Stands for “Getting It Right For Every Child”. It was introduced by the Scottish Government as a framework for all services for children, young people and families, to make it easier to work together and focus on the needs of the individual. Social work, education, health, housing and many other organisations should all base what they do on GIRFEC guidelines.


An order made through the Sheriff Court that appoints one or more guardians to act for someone who doesn’t have capacity to manage their own affairs.


University entry level qualification with the Scottish education system.


The UK government department responsible for collecting taxes, paying some forms of state support, and administering financial regulations.

HNC or Higher National Certificate

An undergraduate level qualification broadly equivalent to a first year in university and usually completed in one or two years.

HND or Higher National Diploma

A work related undergraduate level qualification broadly equivalent to 2 years in university.

Independent financial adviser

Provides advice and support with all aspects of financial planning, including mortgages, tax and pension planning. Advice should be free and tailored to your particular needs. An adviser may recommend financial products to you but you aren’t under any obligation to accept their recommendations.

Individual Service Fund

Sometimes called a Personal Budget, this is the money available to someone to pay for support.

Intervention order

An order through the Sheriff Court that appoints one or more people to act for someone who doesn’t have capacity to manage their own affairs in a specific, one-off scenario.

ITA or Individual Training Accounts

A Scottish Government programme that offers up to £200 a year towards the cost of certain courses or training geared to helping get a job or progress in a career. These have replaced Individual Learning Accounts.

Getting in touch with the Contact helpline

You can get in touch with our helpline by phone, email, Facebook or Twitter, and we can access an interpreter if necessary.
Find out more about how to contact us.



Useful links

Parent and carer support networks can be the best sources of local information and advice.


Download the list below, or contact us to ask about support groups in your area.


Workshop handouts

As part of our transition workshop programme, we produced short directories of local services for each area visited. Click on the image to download any handbook.


Things to think about


Top tips

Check you're up to date with any benefit changes. Speak to a specialist benefit adviser to check you're making the best choices for…

Recent Posts Recent Comments
    Archives Categories Meta