Talking about tomorrow


Corseford College, Scotland’s first college for young people with complex needs

Corseford College, Scotland’s first college for young people with complex and additional support needs opened in September 2022.  It is the first of its kind in Scotland offering young people the opportunity to continue their educational journey after they leave school.

To view the prospectus visit…/462-corseford-college…

Top tips

Check you’re up to date with any benefit changes.

Speak to a specialist benefit adviser to check you’re making the best choices for you – every family is different.

Get guardianship or Power of Attorney in place for financial powers.

Be your young person’s appointee. Speak to the DWP for details.

If you run into financial problems, get help quickly. Don’t let things get out of hand.

Principles of Good Transition 3

The Principles of Good Transitions 3 is produced by the Scottish Transitions Forum and identifies seven key principles for a positive transition. These are endorsed by the Scottish Government, local authorities, health boards and all the major disability support organisations in Scotland.

You can download a copy at

What is advocacy? Can it help me?

An advocate listens to your views and concerns, helps you explore your options, and supports you to communicate your wishes in meetings and appointments. They won’t make decisions for you, but they will ensure you have all the information you need. They will also make sure meetings cover everything you want raised, that you get to ask questions, and afterwards that you understand the outcome.

Everyone finds it difficult to get their point across sometimes. It can be intimidating to speak up in a room full of professionals – and even if that isn’t usually a problem, emotion or stress can make it harder. Advocates work with you or your young person for a better chance of getting your voice heard in discussions that affect you. Some are trained to support people with little or no speech to identify and communicate their wishes.

How can I find out about opportunities where I live?

There isn’t an easy answer because things often change so fast it’s difficult for organisations to keep lists up to date.

Councils have a duty to share information, so check their website or call social services to ask if they can help you find the right opportunities.

One of the best ways can be word of mouth, so keeping in touch with other parents and carers through support groups or online can help. You can ask if there’s something specific you’re looking for.