Talking about tomorrow


Top tips – legal

Seek advice from a solicitor, if possible with specialist knowledge of disabilities and additional support needs. Govan Law Centre [link], Clan Childlaw [link] or the Scottish Child Law Centre [link] may help find one near you, or visit the Law Society of Scotland website  [link} and search for an Accredited specialist in the field of Incapacity and Mental Disability.

Some solicitors offer a first meeting free to work out what’s best for you. Ask about this.

Ask what the costs will be. Fees vary – shop around.

Ask questions if you don’t understand something. More than once if you need to! A good solicitor won’t mind – they will want you to get it right.